Legion Stamps and Postal History
late summer 1941, Estonian volunteers from Construction and Security
"Schutzmannschafts" or "Schuma" Battalions obtained the same postal
privileges as their German compatriots.
Mail weighing up to 250gms
was sent free either through the Feldpost system or via "Dienstpost
Ostland." Mail weighing more than 250gms and up to 1000gms had
a postal fee of 12Rpf.
Estonian formations were assigned Feldpost
numbers. Estonian volunteers using Feldpost were allowed to use
civil post offices for private correspondence with relatives.
Mail was normally distributed to the Foreign Letter Examiners
Office located in Konigsberg. In late April 1942, soldiers requiring
airmail service were provided with four special Luftfeldpost labels.
Family received two of the labels, only one airmail label was
required. By summer of 1943, two labels were required per letter.
not specifically Legion stamps the top three are early occupied
German authorized postal issues. These stamps were issued from the 7th to 12th
of August 1941. Only 1500 of each were made. What make these stamps interesting is
that they show on the bottom left corner a small coat of arms with three lions. These
style shields were worn by Estonian volunteers on the right arm
of their German uniforms. These early Estonian volunteers were part of the German formed
Security police battalions, also known as Schuma battalions.
The other two issues are charity stamps that
were printed in the local Estonian town of "Odenpah" in German
or "Otepaa" in Estonian. They were placed on sale 22 July
1941. Once again notice the national shield (blue/black/white),
which is another type of variation of arm shield worn by
Estonian Schuma personnel. By early November 1941, all these
local issues were replaced by the German Hitler head stamps
with the "Ostland" overprints, which were sold only in the
Baltic civilian post offices in Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and
Feldpost mailed by Schuma units.
In late 1941, the Germans were drafting a compulsory labor force.
Initially it consisted of Lithuanian, Latvian, Estonian and
Ukrainian construction battalions incorporated into the German
Later these battalions were reorganized into "Schuma"
(Security Detachments), consisting of 500 to 550 men each.
These "Schuma" battalions were divided into sub-groups:
(1) "Wacht" (Guard).
(2) "Ersatz" (Replacement).
(4) "Front" (Front line combat) battalions.
Eventually some units were incorporated into Waffen-SS national
Above are two very interesting Estonian volunteer feldpost
covers. The 1st cover was mailed by an Estonian in the Schuma battalion.
The volunteer was assigned to the "Schutzpolizei, 3.Ostlandkomp," stationed in
Kiev Ukraine. Notice the unit seal "Schutzpolizei Kiev" and SS Felpost marking,
which indicates that the unit was under the control of the Waffen-SS.
By May 1943, the title of these Schuma battalions was changed to SS Police
Battalions. This cover has Konigsberg "Aa" circular censorship marking.
The other feldpost cover was mailed to a Border Guard volunteer, FPN 07052-"Stab I/Grenzschutz
Pol Rgt.4." Notice the local town cancel. This cover shows SS censorship marking.
Reverse has SS sealing tape.
Page ] [ Top] [Previous
Page [ Next Page]